Are you a passionate hunter looking for the best hunting dog to take on your next mountain lion hunt? The question of which breed will be the most successful can be daunting, and it’s important that you make a well-informed decision so you don’t make the wrong decision for yourself and your dog.
For that reason, we’ve put together this comprehensive guide to take you through the process of choosing the best hunting dog breeds specifically suited to mountain lion hunting.
We will discuss traits and characteristics of some of the best hunting dogs, how to train your pup for your hunt, and why it’s crucial to choose the right dog.
We will then provide a brief overview of what other topics related to mountain lion hunting you should consider such as hunting mountain lions without dogs and the cost of hunting mountain lions.
Top Hunting Dog Breeds for Mountain Lion Hunting
When it comes to hunting big cats, it pays to do your research and choose the right breed of dog. This is not the type of situation where “any old dog” will do.
Mountain lion hunting requires both a dog that is physically up to the task and a canine that has the mental fortitude to go toe-to-toe with a wild animal without panicking or becoming overly aggressive.
That being said, we can narrow our list of possible breeds significantly. Here are few of the best hunting dog breeds for mountain lion hunting.
German Shorthaired Pointers:
This breed is beloved for its intelligence, trainability, endurance, and even temperament. German shorthaired pointers are also quite large, making them an ideal choice for chasing down a mountain lion.
Although they may not be as large as their German Shorthaired Pointer counterparts, Labrador Retrievers have plenty of energy and enthusiasm, making them the perfect choice for a high-intensity hunt like a mountain lion hunt.
Beagles are small and fast, meaning they can easily keep up with a mountain lion. The Beagle breed is also fairly obedient and can be trained to listen to signals such as whistles and hand signals.
Vizslas are a great choice because they are highly energetic, obedient, and have been known to be great in a variety of terrains, including mountainous regions.
Traits and Characteristics of the Best Hunting Dogs
In order to be an effective hunting partner, it’s important that you take the time to consider the traits and characteristics that make a good hunting dog.
Some of these traits and characteristics include: intelligence, obedience, trainability, stamina, size, sense of smell, and retrieval ability. Let’s briefly discuss each of these characteristics and how it relates to hunting.
- Intelligence: If a dog is intelligent, it can understand commands, can learn quickly, and is able to understand the situation in which it is hunting.
- Obedience: Obedience is the ability of a dog to follow the commands of its handler. An obedient dog makes it much easier to control the hunt.
- Trainability: Trainability is the ability to respond to and learn commands in a positive way. A trainable dog makes it much easier to teach commands and behaviors that will be useful while hunting.
- Stamina: A dog that is able to work for extended periods of time is ideal, as a hunt can last for hours or days.
- Size: Mountain lion hunting requires a large breed. Breeds such as German Shorthaired Pointers and Labs are preferred, as they can cover larger distances faster and are large enough to tackle the task.
- Sense of Smell: It is essential that a hunting dog have a sensitive nose that can help to locate the mountain lion.
- Retrieval Ability: A hunting dog needs the ability to bring game back to the hunter.
How to Train Your Dog for Mountain Lion Hunting
Once you have chosen a breed, it’s time to start training your pup for the hunt. There are specific skills and commands that are essential for a successful hunt, and these should be taught and revised on a regular basis. Here are a few of the most important items to cover in your pup’s training:
- Follow commands: It is essential that your pup follow commands quickly and without hesitation. This means that you should regularly practice basic commands, such as ‘sit’, ‘lie down’, and ‘come’.
- Tracking and scenting: Teach your pup how to track a mountain lion and identify its scent. This is a crucial element of hunting, and your pup should be able to recognize and respond to the scent quickly.
- Retrieving: Retrieving is another important skill, as your pup will be required to bring back the prey (or a part of it) to the hunter.
- Working with Others: As mountain lion hunting is typically done in packs, your pup should learn to work with other dogs and hunters. Your pup should know its place and be able to respond to commands and act as part of a team.
The Importance of Choosing the Right Dog for Your Hunt
Choosing the right breed of hunting dog is essential for having a successful mountain lion hunt. Not all breeds are suited to this task and the wrong breed can lead to an unsuccessful hunt or an unhappy, or even injured, dog.
It’s important to consider the characteristics and traits of the breeds you are considering to ensure that your pup is physically capable of the task and that he has the mental fortitude to remain obedient, calm, and focused.
When it comes to mountain lion hunting, choosing the right breed of hunting dog is essential for success. Different breeds possess certain characteristics and traits that make them ideal for the task and the wrong breed can lead to an unsuccessful hunt or an unhappy dog.
To ensure that you choose correctly, you should consider the traits and characteristics of the breeds you are considering, make sure they are obedient and trainable, and practice hunting commands with your pup.
Q. What is the best breed of dog for mountain lion hunting?
A. The best breeds of dogs for mountain lion hunting are German Shorthaired Pointers, Labrador Retrievers, Beagles, and Vizslas.
Q. What traits should I look for when choosing a hunting dog?
A. When choosing a hunting dog, you should look for intelligence, obedience, trainability, stamina, size, sense of smell, and retrieval ability.
Q. What type of training should I do with my hunting dog?
A. When training your hunting dog, you should focus on commands such as ‘sit’, ‘lie down’, and ‘come’, tracking and scenting, retrieving, and working with other dogs and hunters.
Q. Is it important to choose the right breed for mountain lion hunting?
A. Yes, it is important to choose the right breed for mountain lion hunting. Different breeds possess certain characteristics and traits that make them ideal for this task and the wrong breed can lead to an unsuccessful hunt or an unhappy dog.”
- Why Do Mountain Lions Hunt at Night? You Might Be Surprised! - February 15, 2023
- DIY Mountain Lion Hunt: Tips and Tricks for Success - February 15, 2023
- What Attracts Mountain Lions and How to Use it for Your Hunt - February 15, 2023